Have you been told you snore? You might have sleep apnea, a dangerous medical condition. Left untreated, apnea can cause hypertension, stroke and heart attack. It may also be responsible for car accidents and poor performance in everyday tasks.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a potentially life-threatening condition where a patient's breathing will repeatedly start and stop while he or she is sleeping. There are two kinds of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, which is the most common form of sleep apnea and occurs when the muscles in the throat relax.
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when the brain does not send the proper signals to the muscles for breathing to happen naturally while you sleep.
Symptoms of sleep apnea
Patients with sleep apnea will often feel excessively tired during the day, because they have not gotten restful sleep. Other symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring, which is common in obstructive sleep apnea
- Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Headaches in the morning
- Noted episodes of the patient's breathing stopping
- Startling awake in the night from shortness or lack of breath, which can indicate central sleep apnea
If you've already been diagnosed with sleep apnea, you'll likely need a CPAP or BiPAP device. CarePro Home Medical can help you with CPAP/BiPAP equipment and supplies.
CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) - Used in treatment of sleep apnea, a CPAP machine generates a steady stream of air through a CPAP mask to help open the airway.
BiPAP (Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure) - BiPAP machines are similar to CPAP machines. However, a BiPAP generates two levels of pressure, one for breathing in and one for breathing out. BiPAPs are often for those who have difficulty adjusting to the continuous air flow of a CPAP.
Nebulizers / Compressors - These machines deliver a mist of medication through a nebulizer mask. It can help with narrowed airways, mucus building and expectoration. Portable nebulizers are lightweight and convenient for traveling.
What will my insurance cover?
Every insurance policy is different, but we would love to check on yours for you and figure out what your policy will cover. Give us a call
Contact Us for more information about respiratory devices and other home medical products.